15 March 2009

giving

(this post was originally written for a previous blog that started. but it is still true today, so i thought i'd re-post it.)

my friend tyler has helped me become better at managing my money over the last year. he got hooked on dave ramsey and has shared with me all the tips he has learned. because i don't make very much money, finances have proven to be a major stress in my life. but tyler (and dave) have helped me get a right perspective on how to view and manage what i earn.

i like to help people. i want to help people. i like buying gifts for friends, providing whatever i can for those in need, and bless others with what i can give. however, my budget and my expenses don't allow much room for this to happen. i have felt very conflicted over the last year with wanting to help others and needing to provide for myself. that is until tyler shared with me about a way he and his family are able to help others whenever the need arises. and it works!

for the past few months, at the beginning of each month when i make my budget, i set aside an amount of money that i will only use to give or help others. i have this money near me at all times, because i never know how or when i will meet someone who needs help. and i always...always...am able to give it away. it is not stressful and there is no tension.

i was pumping some gas into my car the other day when a woman approached me and asked if i could help her out with some money. now, normally i am extremely skeptical about these situations, wondering if this person really needs money and what they will spend it on if i give it to them. so i listened to this woman's story and could see that she truly needed some help. so i helped her, right there on the spot. and it wasn't stressful. i didn't have to worry about how i would make up for the money that i gave her. i was able to give....freely.

it's not my money. but i am able to decide how the money is used.

No comments: